Header

Header
1983 Porsche 911 SC Targa

Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Porsche with a Cord

Now that the car is drivable, I need to finish the charging system. The charge plug is something I’ve been thinking about from the very beginning. I decided to install the charging port behind the door of the gas filler tube. The car will still be refueled from the same physical location, but the flow of hydrocarbon molecules is replaced with electrons. The plug is a NEMA L6-30P, a twist lock connection rated for 250 volts and 30 amps. The filler on the left (with plastic cap) is for windshield washer fluid.


2 comments:

  1. I started with the L-6-30 on my 914. Eventually I changed it out for a J1772 inlet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might switch too, if I find myself using the public charge stations. For now it is hard to justify the expense for home charging. I would also have to get a larger charger if I want to charge on the go because the one I have now only charges at 8 amps. It is fine for overnight usage, but nobody would confuse it for a quick charger.

      Delete